Turmeric has long since been the go-to for many aliments and has a secure seat in most skin care routines. In Ayurvedic practices, turmeric is thought to have many medicinal properties including strengthening the overall energy of the body.
What is this powerful plant?
Turmeric powder is made from the root of Curcuma zedoaria, a form of ginger native to Southeast Asia. Its active ingredient, curcumin, is what gives it that yellow-orange tinge; it's also what makes it such a potent anti-inflammatory.
- Anti-everything effects: Turmeric has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and antioxidant effects, all of which benefit the skin.
- Helps skin ailments: Turmeric has been reported to help with many skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, acne, and most notably, wound healing.
- Lightens pigmentation: The antioxidant contained within turmeric -curcumin, is the powerhouse of this plant as it is anti-inflammatory and lightens pigmentation.
- Healing: It helps heal and prevent dry skin.
- Anti-aging: Turmeric slows the skin aging process, and is used to diminish wrinkles, keep skin supple, and improve skin’s elasticity.